Are you taking advantage of every potential opportunity through USDA programs? Deadlines are right around the corner.
- Final Opportunity – Sign Up for Conservation Reserve Program – voluntary land conservation program that pays farmers a yearly rental payment for the removal of environmentally sensitive land from ag production and plant species. This is the first enrollment since 2016, and while most rates are lower for this sign-up period, the rental rates (determined by county) can provide supplemental revenue. Sign-up ends February 28, 2020.
- Deadline to Pay Top-up Payments Premium – producers who received a prevented planting ‘top-up’ payment last fall are required to purchase Federal crop insurance for the next two crop years. If producers fail to pay 2019 premiums (by Sales Closing Date) they will be ineligible for 2020 crop insurance and will violate the two year requirement. Producers will be required to pay back payments with interest. Depending upon a producer’s policy, the final deadlines could be February 28 or March 15, 2020 (as the other policy deadlines have already passed).
- Open Enrollment for Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) Grassland Conservation Initiative – producers that have grassland that was taken out of the ARC/PLC programs should have recently received a letter from the FSA that gives them the opportunity to enroll in the Grassland Conservation Initiative. This will pay $18 per acre and is a five year contract. Producers can terminate the contract at any time but must maintain grass cover and have a grassland conservation plan. Eligible producers should have received letters from the FSA about the program and how to apply.
- Dairy Operations Deadline Remains Open for 2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity and Milk Loss Program (WHIP-ML) – originally slated to close on February 1, WHIP-ML has been extended for dairy operations to apply for 2018 and 2019. This covers losses of milk dumped due to wildfires, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, and snowstorms. Applications still being accepted.
- Absolute March 15th Deadline approaching for Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) or Price Loss Coverage (PLC) programs – for 2019 and 2020 crop years, producers MUST enroll for each year. Click here for eligibility details, actions, special notices, and resources.
- Program Election for 2019 & 2020 – Deadline: March 15, 2020
- 2019 Crop Year Enrollment – Deadline: March 15, 2020
- 2020 Crop Year Enrollment – Deadline: June 30, 2020
Contact an advisor on K·Coe Isom’s Farm Program Services team for questions and guidance.