Kevin Mills, Principal, Pinion, LLC
Kevin Mills advises large ag producers all throughout the U.S. on tax planning, succession and estate planning, as well as farm program services. Educating producers on the risks and rewards, Kevin guides them through opportunities to strengthen their operations in the face of different financial challenges.
With honesty and candor, Kevin builds relationships quickly. Business owners look to Kevin for out-of-the-box solutions that will benefit their business. Whether an owner’s goal is to expand the business, get out of debt, buy more ground, transition the business, protect the operation from divorce, avoid unnecessary estate taxes, or slow down and take time off, Kevin brings creative strategies to the table to accomplish it. For example:
- Advising a large hog producer and row crop farm to leverage relationships to pre-pay for a commodity in anticipation of a market price increase, resulting in a $600,000 year one savings.
- Increasing capital by $1 million for a family farm that spans three states, through succession plan, allowing the dad to retire and enabling the children to buy into the operation over time, tax deferred.
- Identifying a $75,000 tax refund versus $250,000 taxes paid related to a land purchase for a grain and cattle operation.
- Taking advantage of different tax opportunities over time to put a family farm in good position, resulting in no estate taxes when the father passed away.
- Analyzing financials and the risk-reward for a potential $10 million dollar farm operation acquisition, leading to a recommendation not to buy based on the numbers.
Kevin Mills grew up on a wheat and milo farm in southwestern Kansas, which his family still owns. On the farm, he had many responsibilities, including many hours spent driving the tractor and combine. At times, he would be covered in so much grease that his dad sent him home to change because he didn’t want the cab to get dirty. Kevin joined Pinion after graduating college and was named principal in 2008. He leverages his background in agriculture and 15 years’ accounting expertise to provide sustainable results, keeping family farms in the family, and exceeding goals.